The Marikina City Library uses an open-shelf system (i.e., Dewey Decimal Classification System) in organizing books and other materials. It consists of several sections:
1. Children’s Section: The Children’s Section aims to foster a love of reading among children. It features an accessible collection of books and audio materials housed in an inviting, stimulating atmosphere. It has been developed to meet the informational and entertainment needs of children through sixth grade.
The children’s collection includes an extensive folklore collection as well as reference materials on children’s literature. Besides the print collection, the Children’s Section also has books on tape and videos.
2. Special Collection Section: It boasts comprehensive reading materials on Marikina’s shoe industry and other fields, and those produced by the National Statistics Office and the National Center for the Welfare of Disabled Persons.
3. Periodical Section: The Periodical Section showcases various newspapers and magazines in general circulation (e.g., Time, Newsweek, Reader’s Digest, etc.), as well as indexed magazines and newspaper clippings.
4. Recreational Section: Novels, children’s literature, fiction and non-fiction are among the materials in the Recreational Section. These may be borrowed (up to three books at a time, for one week). To enjoy the privilege, avail of the Marikina City Public Library Card.
5. Teens’ Section: It features a collection of teen literature and fiction and non-fiction books.
6. Law and Governance Section: The Law and Governance Section includes a compilation of Republic Acts, Presidential Decrees, Municipal/City Ordinances, Administrative Orders, Memorandum Orders, Local Executive Orders, Court Rulings, official gazettes, and books on Law and the Constitution.
7. Computer Section: Internet access is available at the Computer Section, Wi-Fi spot. The 30-minute use of computers is free of charge. Following are guidelines on availing of the services at the Computer Section:
- Present a valid Library Card.
- Make a reservation with the Library staff prior to the use of computers.
- Library patrons may log in once during weekends.
- Internet access should be limited to research. Accessing of objectionable content (e.g., pornography, violence, online gaming, etc. is prohibited).
- The use of personal software is strictly prohibited. Only the City Public Library software may be used.
- Parents/guardians should supervise their children’s use of the computers, specifically their access to the Internet.
- Observe care and caution when using the computer. Patrons are liable for any damage to and unauthorized removal of computers and similar equipment.
8. Reference Section: The Reference Section is a treasure trove of materials containing general information such as dictionaries, encyclopedia, almanacs, atlases, bibliographies, handbooks, yearbooks, and books on Guinness world records.
9. Filipiniana Section: This section carries publications on the Philippines – from its history, culture, and government, to the life, works, and teachings of national heroes.
10. General Collection: It offers a selection of comprehensive reading materials on various subject matters.
11. Audio-Visual Room: The Audio-Visual Room is designed for seminars, workshops, and orientations.